Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Gateway to the West June 4, 2009.

Dave and I spent the evening with my sister looking at photos that had been passed down to me that my father had taken in the 1940's and that my grandfather made in 1910 through 1915, many of which my sister had not seen before. The next day we visited the Arch in downtown St. Louis with my sister and my niece's family. Dave who had attended the dedication of the Arch in 1967 with his father, went on the tramway to the top of the Arch for the first time. It was a beautiful day allowing us spectacular views of the city and plains both east and west from St. Louis.

Even more impressive was the wonderfully put together museum of Western expansion at the base of the Arch with everything from written history to live interpreters depicting pioneer life in the West. This is a great place to visit with children.

We had dinner that evening with my other niece's family. We would like to thank them all for a wonderful time in St. Louis. The meals, beds and fellowship that they provided. And the photographic expertise that my brother-in-law gave us. With a bacon and egg breakfast, lunch and dinner packed for the next day, off we went. Our next visit with you will be from Oklahoma.

Next: The Great Plains.

0 comments:

Post a Comment