Saturday, May 30, 2009

Final Preparations

With all the logistics now finalized for the Last American Road Trip, there are still two days left to pack and prep the G6 Road Vehicle. I would like to take this opportunity to thank my friends at GM (www.gm.com) who designed and engineered the G6 and those at Orion Assembly where the Pontiac G6 and the Chevrolet Malibu are built. I would also like to thank the folks at Quality Pontiac where I purchased the G6 and where I have it serviced (www.qualitypontiac.com). I would especially like to thank my wife who has made this life, and trip, possible because she is still working. I will miss her much.

All of us are on pins and needles as GM enters the final two days before a possible bankruptcy filing. At the end of 2007, shortly after a major reorganization of GM was announced, my supervisor closed an end of the year gathering with these words, "While I cannot say for sure what we will all be doing in the coming year, I am sure that we will be doing something different." Those words rang true.

Right now, something different is retirement and the Last American Road Trip. It will test the G6 in a variety of weather ranging from the heat of the Mojave Desert to the cold of spring in the Rocky Mountains, a range of driving from stop and go in Los Angeles to the high speed flats of Iowa. It will test the drivers' ability to manage their meds, moods and money while staying in the wilds of Wyoming and the lairs of Las Vegas.

Next: A new GM? The G6 packed for the Last American Road Trip. Saying goodbye.

0 comments:

Post a Comment